Twitter Facebook Vimeo

Helping New Brunswickers Know the Law

Law By Topic

You and Your Rights


I have a complaint about a lawyer’s work, conduct or fees.  Who should I contact?

You should first discuss with your lawyer any complaint you have about the service you received or the costs.   If you are not satisfied with the explanation you may wish to take action.   While it is possible to sue your lawyer if you think your case was handled in a negligent manner, most complaints can be directed through the Law Society of New Brunswick.  

The PLEIS-NB publication You and Your Lawyer provides an overview of how the Law Society will review your bill and how to register a complaint about a lawyer’s personal and professional conduct.


Disclaimer: Please note that our website contains general information about the law. This is not a complete statement of the law on particular topics. We try to update our publications often, but laws change frequently so it is important for you to check to make sure the information is up to date.  The information in our publications is not a substitute for legal advice. To receive legal advice about your specific situation, you need to speak to a lawyer.